Monday 3 June 2013

Affordable Retro Inspired Makeup: Eyes


In all honesty, if you do a classic winged/flicked/cat-eye with liquid eyeliner, I think your makeup will have a retro edge to it no matter what, however as always there is room for a bit more glamour.





Traditional retro looks are quite neutral, so majority of the colours in the eye products I've chosen are neutral ones. Furthermore, if you wanted a really traditional look, I'd advise you use matt colours, as not many (if any) shimmery shades were on the market in those days.

MUA Heaven and Earth Palette
  • Tried and tested (by me)
  • All gorgeous neutral colours
  • Very pigmented
  • Very cheap - only £4!
  • Shimmery, for a more modern look. 
Sleek Au Neutral Palette
  • Sleek eyeshadow reviews are always good
  • Very pigmented
  • Reasonable price (around £7-£8)
  • Majority, if not all colours are shimmery. 
Sleek Ultra Mattes: Dark Palette
  • Tried and tested 
  • All colours are matte (obviously), for a traditional look
  • Very pigmented
  • Reasonable price (around £7-£8)
  • Comes with other non-neutral colours if you feel like "mixing it up"!
I also chose 3  matte single eyeshadows also from the MUA range, these are handy to have "on the go" and come in the only 3 colours you'll need for a basic retro look. They also do other non-matte colours, check out Superdrug or the MUA website. 

MUA Eyeshadow in Shade 16 
  • Light, nudey pink colour
  • All over lid colour
  • Matte
  • Very affordable (£1!)
MUA Eyeshadow in Shade 17 
  • Beige-brown
  • Crease colour
  • Matte
  • Very affordable (£1)
MUA Eyeshadow in Shade 20
  • Black
  • Ideal for night time 
  • Matte
  • Very affordable (£1)
EYELINER
The most trickiest part, I've been doing it for years and I still struggle to get it even but hey ho, I read an interview with Dita Von Teese and she said she even struggled - WE ARE ONLY HUMAN. 

I've tried both of these eyeliners, Constance Carroll and Collection, they are both very black, pretty much smudge proof, very affordable no more that £2.99 and the best I've tried - they also come in waterproof versions, if that's what floats your boat.

EYELASHES
I included these as a fun addition and the fact that Ardell is my new found love. Personally I think, for a cat-eye look, you should buy the ones that "flick out" at the sides, like the ones I've chosen for this post (Ardell 202 and Eyelure 107). However it works either way. 

EYEBROWS
I find well defined eyebrows work best with this look, which can be very hard to do especially if you're like me and your eyebrows grow faster than everyone elses! People use shadows, pencil, both, liquid eyeliner, anything. But I find using an eyebow pencil works well. I sometimes go over them with a shadow though, once I've got the shape

Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil
  • Tried and tested
  • Variety of colours
  • Waxy - keeps brows in place 
  • Pretty good colour payoff 
  • Affordable - £1.99-£2.99

I just realised I didn't include a mascara, but honestly, unless you're wanting to use the traditional brush (as pictured above), you can use anything you want!

Hope you enjoyed this, the next installment will be on how to create affordable retro lips! However it wont be the next post, it will be the post after that!

xx

1 comment:

  1. Great post - I love mua shadows but I haven't tried any sleek shadows yet :) x


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

All your questions, comments and feedback are greatly appreciated, thank you. If you have any further questions please email me at courtneyfarrowblog@outlook.com or tweet me at @yentruocfarrow because I will get back to you sooner



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...