Saturday 16 July 2016

Retro reproduction for modern day folks

A few months ago, In Retrospect magazine contacted me to see if I wanted to review a piece from Voodoo Vixen's new collection. I jumped at the chance as I've been meaning to purchase something from the East London retro reproduction company for quite a while now and often  find myself drooling over their gorgeous creations before remembering my waning student budget. 

If you'd like to read my full review, visit the In Retrospect Magazine website.




Reproduction vintage is a great way to enjoy the perks of old fashioned designs and pretty patterns, without the struggle of trying to find an affordable piece which fits, flatters and is good enough quality to survive everyday wear. Voodoo Vixen stock an array of retro inspired clothing, from dresses and jumpsuits, to basic tops and bottoms, as well as cute pin-up inspired accessories. 


With it's beautiful floral pattern and flattering 50's cut, the Voodoo Vixen Lilian Dress is the perfect choice for versatile summer occasion wear. Whether you need to dress up for a wedding or play it cool for a picnic in the park, I feel that this piece would see you through. The stunning fit and flare style of this dress, along with its distinctive neckline is a modern twist on a mid-century classic. 

The striking neckline and gorgeous floral print is what first made me pick out the Lilian Dress and I was not disappointed when she arrived on my doorstep. The subtlety of the beige contrasts beautifully with the vibrant flowers, giving an almost tropical vibe to the outfit. I must admit, although I love the dress, I'm not quite sure it 100% suits me, I feel like the nude clashes against my pale skin. I'm prepared to look pale though for the interesting neckline and lowered back detailing - this cut takes a modern twist on a vintage style, something Voodoo Vixen do well. 

Being 96% cotton and 3% elastane, the fabric has a comfortable stretch to it, whilst allowing you to keep cool on warm summer days. The full-circle skirt could be enhanced by wearing a petticoat underneath, however due to the hot weather I decided to give any extra material a miss. 


I went for a size XL, which according to the Voodoo Vixen size guide is a UK 14. Usually being a 16, I had my reservations. I can't believe clothing shops still class a size 14 as 'extra large', if I'm completely honest. Despite this, and probably thanks to the stretchy material, the size 14 fitted me well and flattered my figure. Like all of their standard range, the Lilian dress runs from a size S - XL (6 -14), however a plus size Vixen Curve range is also available, featuring some equally beautiful pieces. 

This well-made and exquisitely designed dress is certainly worth £49.99 price tag, and will be a staple in my summer wardrobe! To see my full review, visit the In Retrospect Magazine website.

Follow Retro and Thrift on TwitterLike Retro and Thrift on FacebookFollow Retro and Thrift on Bloglovin'Follow Retro and Thrift on InstagramEmail Retro and ThriftFollow Retro and Thrift on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

All your questions, comments and feedback are greatly appreciated, thank you. If you have any further questions please email me at courtneyfarrowblog@outlook.com or tweet me at @yentruocfarrow because I will get back to you sooner



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...